“Plant your tiny seeds and keep watering them every day. Soon, they’ll grow.” ~ Israelmore Ayivor
When you understand and embrace your career path as your own, you learn to nurture and grow it with intention. Career growth is not an idle process because you need to create and look for opportunities that can help you to get to where you want to be.
Career growth happens when you’re intentional about the choices that you make. When you identify what’s impacting your career, you understand what you need to do more (or less) of to support your growth. When you proactively examine your career path and understand what you need to do to move forward, you’re more likely to see and pursue the right opportunities as they cross your path.
If you’re trying to figure out what’s impacting your career growth, use the following questions as a guide.
- What are your career goals?
- How do you want to earn a living?
- What are your core values?
- Does your career align with your values?
- What are your daily/weekly habits?
- How are you expending your energy?
- Do your habits complement your growth?
- Do your habits align with your vision and career goals?
- How do you spend your time at work?
- How do you spend your time outside of work?
- How does the way you spend your time contribute to your career growth?
- How do you plan to grow your career?
- What’s the timeframe of your plans? Short-term? Long-term?
- Which tools do you use to plan?
- With whom do you choose to surround yourself?
- Do they support or hinder your career progress?
- How do you build career-focused connections online (e.g. via social media)?
- How do you build career-focused connections offline (e.g. face-to-face/in person)?
It’s important to take a holistic view of your career path. True career growth isn’t solely dependent on your employer or restricted to the time that you spend at work. How you spend your time outside of work is just as important in helping you to grow your career and be sought-after in the market.
You need a professional coach to support and guide you toward success. You need a partner that can help you to build and reach your goals. Click here or email us to discover how our coaching services can help you.
Download our free Career Satisfaction Quiz to understand your career situation.
Listen to more episodes on our podcast playlist.